Monday 3 November 2014

Daily Diary #2 : Mental Health & Letters to the Head


Monday 3rd November-

Back to school. I don't think I've ever been as tired as I was this morning. I really need to train myself to sleep better! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Today me and a friend started writing a letter to the headteacher of our school. We're hoping to have it finished and given to him by Wednesday/Thursday; we only get chance to write it at break times so it's taking us a while!  



We're writing to him regarding  mental health. Me and my friend have both battled with poor mental health/mental illnesses. I can only speak on behalf of myself, but I do think there's a difference between poor mental health and having a mental illness and I think I have poor mental health. Although I've been treated for a mental illness, I don't think I am ill. However I have had very similar experiences to people who have mental illnesses, it's just that, luckily, I don't suffer as badly as others. Also, when I'm older I hope to have a career regarding mental illness, so to me it is a big part of my life, I research it, I suffer from it and I'm best friends with someone that suffers from a different type of illness to me. Therefore I'm very experienced regarding mental health/illnesses and although I don't know all the facts and figures that doctors do, I have the experience that so many of them don't.

We wanted to ask if the school could work with us to try and erase stigma surrounding mental health, promote awareness and help educate pupils on the symptoms and treatment of mental health, as so far we don't feel that it's spoken about in our school and to us this is a major issue as so many people could be silently suffering from something, that could so easily be spoken about. 

I'll let you know how it goes after we've given him the letter! Let's hope it goes well....















No comments:

Post a Comment